Root canal treatment is a type of endodontic dental treatment. The term Endodontic Treatment, which is for the inside of the tooth, comes from the Greek words “endo”, meaning inside, and “odont”, meaning tooth.
It becomes necessary to go for endodontic treatment when the pulp, or the soft tissue inside the root canal, gets infected or is inflamed. The inflammation or infection is due to a variety of causes such as deep decay, a crack or chip, or repeated dental procedures on the tooth. A tooth injury, even if it has no visible cracks or chips, may cause pulp damage. And, if you leave pulp inflammation or infection untreated, it might even lead to an abscess, and not simple pain. Here are a few symptoms to indicate that you need a root canal:
• Severe pain while chewing or biting.
• Pimples on the gums.
• A chipped or cracked tooth.
• Lingering sensitivity to cold or hot, even when the sensation is removed.
• Swollen or tender gums.
• Deep decay or darkening of the gums.
The endodontist at Apex Medical and Dental Clinics, first of all, removes the inflamed or infected pulp, then cleans and shapes the root canal’s insides carefully before filling it and then sealing the space. To protect this filling and restore your tooth to full function, you will have to come back to your dentist, who will crown the tooth or place other restoration on it. Once it restores, the tooth starts functioning like any other tooth. At Medical Clinic in Dubai, UAE Endodontic treatment is often performed in one or two visits and involves the following steps:
1. The endodontist first examines the tooth and takes a radiograph using x-rays. After administering local anesthesia, the endodontist then places a dental dam, a small protective sheet, over the area. This isolates the tooth from saliva during the procedure and keeps it clean.
2. He makes an opening in the crown that he has placed on the tooth. Using some fine instruments, the pulp is cleaned from the root canals and pulp chamber. The space is thus ready for filling.
3. Once cleaned and shaped, the root canals are filled with a biocompatible material called as gutta-percha. This rubber-like material is placed carefully using adhesive cement to seal the root canals completely. Most of the time, the opening is closed with a temporary filling. The dentist removes this temporary filling before the tooth is restored.
4. In this last step, your dentist will have a crown or other restoration placed on the tooth to protect and restore it to full function.
If the tooth cannot hold the restoration for lack of sufficient structure, a post is placed inside the tooth by your dentist or endodontist.
For root canals,
It’s good to have some knowledge about what the dentist is doing inside your mouth in the name of root canal. However, despite your knowledge, you will need a seasoned dentist or endodontist to get your root canal done. Visit Apex Medical & Dental Clinic, an experience of one of the best Medical Services in Dubai. Get your root canal treatment done today!